2017 National Jamboree Contingent
2017 National Jamboree is Coming!!
The Scouting event of a lifetime is coming – July 19th-28th 2017, and it's time to sign up and get ready! Join over 35,000 Scouts and Venturers from around the world for a mind-blasting and fun experience. The 2017 theme, "Live Scouting's Adventure," speaks both to Scouting's century-old tradition of creating adventures that develop young people into the leaders of tomorrow and to the developing adventures of the next century of Scouting.
This will be the second Jamboree held at the Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve in West Virginia's adventure sports region known as the New River Gorge. Located on a sprawling 10,600 acres, the property includes more than 5 miles of zip line and challenge courses, 36 miles of mountain bike trails, and 13 acres of shooting sports ranges, as well as venues for kayaking, rock climbing, bouldering, skateboarding, BMX, and many other activities. Want to know more about Jamboree? Check out the Jamboree Overview on the Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve website.
So what's the big deal? 2017 is less than a year from now!
Yes, but there's so much to do to get ready! Greater Yosemite Council will be sending one Troop and one Venture Crew. A Troop consists of thirty-six Scouts and four adult leaders. Each Crew consists of 8 Venturers and two Crew advisors. With a limited number of spots that fill up fast you want to make sure that you can attend with your friends from your home Troop and Crew! There is lots of planning and preparation for this trip which includes several days of touring historic locations in the East Coast/Washington D.C. area in addition to the ten days at Jamboree. Also, it gives you ample time to raise the funds needed to attend the Jamboree.
Adult leaders and Crew advisors will be selected in 2015. Scouts and Venturers will be able to register in 2015. Troops and Crews will start forming during 2015 and begin operating in 2016. Requirements to attend are:
- Scouts must be at least First Class by the start of the Jamboree. They must be at least twelve years of age by July 1st, 2017 or completed the 6th grade, but not have reached their 18th birthday by July 28th, 2017.
- Venturers must be fourteen years of age by July 1st, 2017, but not have reached their 21st birthday by July 28th.
- A National Jamboree is a rewarding and lifetime experience that takes place in the outdoors. It includes walking/hiking many miles a day with activities in the humid summer climate of West Virginia. Youth must be in good physical health and must pass a BSA physical.
We estimate the cost of this event to be $2,500 per Scout. This includes all meals, lodging, activities and transportation for the entire Jamboree and tour. Extensive fund raising activity is planned to assist all Scouts to cover the costs. Scholarship support will be available on an individual situational basis.
Jamboree Work Schedule
Payment and Refund Information
Are there opportunities for Adults to Staff at Jamboree?
Of course! Staffing a National Jamboree is an awesome experience. Visit the Jamboree Volunteer page for complete details.
Where can I get more information?
Should you have questions, please contact:
- Talmage Allen: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Luis Jimenez: 209-985-9630